Saturday, October 11, 2014

Book Review: The Spiral Dance by Starhawk


So this is one of the books that I would recommend to everyone -- beginners, intermediate, advanced (if you haven't already read it). It's one of those classic books about Wicca that you really can't ignore. It has so much information about many different aspects of Wicca and the Craft that you need to have this book on hand just in case you forget something.

Not only is there a ton of information but there are also a ton of exercises in each chapter pertaining to what it's about. These exercises are simple, easy to do, and can be done alone or with a group. Each exercise is associated with meditation, trance, ritual, spell work, and more. As always, if I read something that I find to be very useful, then I'll incorporate it into my Craft or at least try it out to see where it best fits in.

This is how I think people should approach most exercises. Try them out and see if you want to keep it or discard it. I'm always looking into different meditation techniques and the ones that I don't find particularly empowering, or insightful I discard. It's okay if you don't want to do a technique. Find what works best for you!

I thought the chapters about the history of Witchcraft were very revealing. There was information that I certainly didn't know about before reading this book and there were even things that clicked for me upon reading it. Do you know where the term "In Perfect Love and Perfect Trust" originated from? This book will tell you and much more.

I'm a Starhawk fan I must say. I've read several of her works and I find her to be very "down to Earth". She doesn't lecture and she's very easy to relate to in her works. I love the "tell it like it is" attitude she has toward the Craft and Wicca which I think makes her admirable.

Try any of her books and see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment