Sunday, January 10, 2016

Discovering the Goddess Brigid

I have known Brigid for a very long time but since Imbolc is around the corner I've decided to get to know her more intimately than before. While perusing the books as this neat metaphysical shop down the street from me, I came across a book with a blaring title that made me have to buy it. Now mind you I'm a very big fan of used books so I rarely buy them brand new, but this one called to me so loudly that I could not ignore it. The book is called Tending Brigid's Flame by Lunaea Weatherstone. I've basically dived into it and I'm learning quite a lot about Brigid not only the Goddess but also the Saint.

At first, I wasn't too thrilled to be reading about the Christianized version of my beloved Goddess but then I realized that her saintly aspect is an important part of who she is. Whether Brigid was an actual person or not, the idea of her is what is so magical. In Celtic times, she was considered to be a threefold Goddess. She had three sisters all of the same name but representing different aspects. She's the keeper of the flame within the hearth. She adores generosity and hospitality to all who are looking for an ounce of kindness. She is an Earth Goddess grounded in the warmth of the home. She is a water Goddess who watches over the sacred wells. She is a fire Goddess. She is a patroness of poetry, metalcrafting, livestock, medicine, the arts and much more! Really, there isn't anything this Goddess can't do.

She is considered the daughter of the Dagda and one of the Tuatha De Denann. She has even been said to resemble Athena and Minerva for her cunning wisdom and her craft. Imbolc is her Sabbat and her fire festival. It is also known as St. Brigid's Day and is celebrated on February 1st. She is truly a Goddess to study and can be found ingrained in the Celtic tradition. Upon this Imbolc, take time to get to know her and how you can honor her in your life. Invite her into your home where she opens doors between worlds. You'll be able to feel the warmth radiating throughout your home.




No comments:

Post a Comment