Picture provided by: http://georgeweigel.net/favorite-past-garden-columns/cooking-herbs
Rosemary is a pretty hardy herb. It loves heat, it loves the sun, and it's a pretty low maintenance plant. If you're going to use this herb for cooking and you're growing your own, it's best to make sure to cut clippings before the plant blooms. Of if it does bloom then you should cut the blooms off because this makes the herb taste woody. If you're using it for other purposes other than cooking or for adding fragrance to soaps, lotions, your home, etc, then here are a few medicinal qualities that come in handy.
- Improves memory
- Relieves spasms and muscle pain
- Aids in hair growth
- Helps maintain circulatory and nervous systems
- Treats indigestion
- Can work as an antioxidant
You may ingest rosemary by eating it in foods or drinking it in herbal teas. You can also use it in topical creams such as lotion, soaps, salve, and oils. However, here are a few warnings about this herb.
- Do not use this herb if you are pregnant. It acts as an abortifacient which can cause miscarriage.
- If you are on medicines to control blood sugar and are diabetic Rosemary is known to altar blood sugar levels and interfere with the drugs taken for diabetes.
- Rosemary acts as a diuretic so do not take it in addition to other diuretic drugs. It can raise your chances of dehydration.
- Rosemary interferes with the blood's ability to clot so do not take it along with any other blood thinners you may be taking.
- Rosemary interferes with ACE inhibitors taken for high blood pressure
Reference: Rosemary Medicinal Properties
As for the magical properties of Rosemary the famous saying is:
"Rosemary for Remembrance"
Rosemary is most famous for its ability to improve our memories. It is also known to aid in protection, purification, and passion. It is commonly used in love spells as an anointing oil.
- Place Rosemary under your pillow to help you remember your dreams
- Place 3 drops of Rosemary oil on a pink candle, let it burn all night and burn itself out to help bring passion and love your way.
- Carry Rosemary on you to help bring you good luck and protection.